The Center for Disease Control is requiring all air passengers entering the U.S. to show proof of a negative covid-19 test before boarding. We’re getting lots of questions about it, so we’ve compiled what we know based on the CDC’s website as well as information we’re getting directly from our local clinics and testing sites. We hope you find this useful. If you have more questions after reading my email and need more detailed information, you might try reading the CDC’s FAQ page.
People here are bending over backwards to make this as easy as possible for tourists — so please don’t stress. We’re here to help you navigate this new info!
- As of Jan. 26, 2021 people entering the US (via air travel) will need proof of either a negative viral test (either PCR or antigen, but NOT antibody test) or proof of recovery following illness. Airlines can modify their own specific policies as they implement this new rule, so we recommend you contact your particular airline in advance and double check you understand which test type(s) your airline will accept.
- Your documentation of negative results needs to be in written form and from no more than 3 days before your US-bound flight.
- If you provide proof of illness and recovery you’ll need a written statement from a doctor stating you are cleared to travel (must be from within 90 days of your US-bound flight date).
- You will not be permitted to board without presenting this documentation.
- You will need to show this documentation even if you have already received one or both doses of a covid-19 vaccine.
How to meet the requirements here in Cozumel:
There are multiple testing locations here on the island. Here are just a few of the available locations for testing:
- Several hotels and resorts are offering on-site testing as well as special arrangements for quarantining if you were to test positive before your return flight and need to extend your stay. Check with your hotel or resort directly to get details about the resources and accommodations it can offer.
- They’ll come to you! Home visits available from 9 am – 5pm
- PCR test – 120 usd – results available in 24-36 hours.
- Antigen test – 40 usd – results in 8-10 hours
- To schedule your appointment, email COZUMEL@AZUMED.MX or dial the phone +52 554-551-4954 (if calling from a local line, just dial the last 10 digits, not the +52 country code).
- Marko Test Zone mobile laboratory
- located on the corner of Av. Lic Andres Quintana Roo (aka “Calle 11”) and Av. 8 de octubre (aka Av. 65).
- Antigen test is 690 pesos
- PCR test is 2200 pesos
- Home visits available for small additional fee (100 pesos or about 6 usd)
- CMC Costamed
- Located on Calle 1 sur between Av. 50 and 50 sur bis (a very short bike ride from downtown).
- One of the top tier clinics on the island; it has a great reputation. It caters to a lot of tourists and you’ll have no problem finding staff who speak English.
- PCR test (viral test accepted for US + Canada) is 2499 pesos (as of today about 124 usd, subject to change based on exchange rate) and results are ready in 24-48 hours.
- Antigen test (viral test accepted in US) is 999 pesos (about 50 usd today) and results are available in 2-4 hours.
- They also offer antibody tests but it looks to me like that’s not accepted for flights into either US or Canada, so I would avoid spending money on this type of test unless it’s part of a separate requirement for your employment for example.
- To make an appointment or get more info, call the Cozumel clinic at +52-987-872-9400 (or a general call center at 1-800.900.1133). You’ll have an option to speak with someone in English.
- Clínica San Miguel
- Located right downtown on Calle 6 norte between 5ta and 10a Avenida.
- The rapid antigen test is 699 pesos (~37 usd) and results are available in a couple hours
- The PCR test is 2500 pesos (~132 usd) and results will be available in 24-48 hours.
- Regular testing hours are from 7 am – 2 pm.
- Call +52-987-872-0103 to make an appointment at least 24 hours in advance. Bring your ID.
- At home testing service available upon request for an additional fee.
- International Hospital
- Located right downtown on Calle 5 sur between Rafael Melgar and Calle 5 sur.
- Highly recommended that you make an appointment in advance due to high demand.
- They offer the PCR (nasal swab) test for 2499 pesos (~129 usd) and results are ready within 24-48 hours.
- Staff recommends getting the test in the morning in order to facilitate quicker test results, possibly the same day in the evening.
- 24 hour staff available to hand in test results, though the lab is closed on Sundays so please plan accordingly.
- They also offer the rapid antibody test, though it appears that’s not valid for flights into US or Canada.
- Call +52-987-872-1430 to make an appointment.
If you think of other questions (or if you have used any of the clinics or services listed above and want to let us know what your experience was like so we can make try to keep this page updated and accurate) please feel free to email us at email@example.com